Monday, March 27, 2006

Guitars and Amps

The Les Paul through a Marshall stack has a lot of good sounds - I'm not sure that there are any bad sounds with this combination. For a clean, jazzy lead sound I was using a Roland Jazz Chorus with the neck pickup and a sine chorus, but lately I have replaced that with the Marshall with the gain and drive turned down. For crunchy rhythm I was using a Fender Reverb Deluxe with everything turned up to 10, but I have been playing most of these kind of parts on the Telecaster.

The Telecaster through a Soldano head and Marshall cab is a great, hi-gain sound. For straight blues the Fender Bassman and a TS-808 tube screamer is an excellent sound (the screamer is not nearly so effective with the Les Paul), and with the pedal clicked off I can get that Keith Richards crunchy rhythm sound. The Telecaster sounds good through the Marshall stack as well, but whenever I go there I realize, "yeah, this is good, but it would be better if I was playing the Les Paul right now".

No comments: