Friday, September 21, 2012

Equinox

In the morning chill of approaching fall
The roses send out their second bloom
Absent the heat of the long dry summer
The lawn returns to a lush hopeful green
I'm waiting for life to finally slow down
So I can figure out what this all means

It's spring in Australia but here it is autumn
And I pass by an old Brit along the canal
He's thinking of leaving for the open road
My car remains parked in its regular spot
I'm waiting for life to finally slow down
So I can remember all the things I forgot

On the banks of the river Suzanne waits for me
Her table pre-set with oranges and tea
But I'm drawn every morning to the dusty tow path
Where I crunch on the gravel and admire the trees
Attached to my barge until evening's quick black
I'm waiting for life to finally slow down
So I can figure how I can make my way back.

No comments: