Saturday, October 23, 2010

Candyland (2005)

Butt-crack of dawn
The dog comes along
Four Runner guns
Headlights turn on
And then we're gone

Path through the trees
Then rocks and the beach
Waves roll in
Below
A secant of sun.

Just me and my board
The wind's from the north
And my troubles are left behind on the shore.

Back in Candyland.

Beds are all made
The toys are displayed
Refrigerator is stocked
The back door is locked
And I'm on my way

Drive 95
Down Old Route 1
Day's just begun
But I've been working
Towards this for months.

Just me and my boys
We'll make plenty of noise
And we'll pick up right back
Where we had to leave off before

Back in Candyland.

Hearing’s not until noon
An hour to spare
Try to prepare
For the questions and glares
It will be over soon.

Don't start a fight
We both know what's right
And if there's any anger let it flow
Over you just like a wave

Washington Square
Been here before
When making nothing out of something
Was the way that I filled up my days.

Back in Candyland..

“Hey Johnny D.
What’s going on?
Still riding your board?
Ain’t seen you around”
He wipes his nose on his sleeve.

“I moved out up north.
Close to the beach.
A mile away I’ve got a
Four foot break
All to myself.”

“Sweet
I’ve got a board you should see.
It’s a classic
You know you ought to buy it from me.”

Back in Candyland.

“D.,
You got some to share?
What about cash?
Front me a grand.
The board’s super sweet.”

“Just a C.
Split a bag you and me
I’ll take you uptown to this guy.
He’s got the best..”

And as I pull out some cash
To pay off the past
The arbitrator stares at me
On his way.

Back to Candyland.

And as I sit
I wonder how this could be
That I lost control of my fate.
My hopes and my dreams
All out of my hands.

Of course, it goes bad.
Of course, I get mad.
And the best I can get’s
Another hearing
In six months time.

Alone on my deck
In a clammy grey fog
Far away waves
Want a fix so bad.
Through the sliding glass doors
Where the toys are displayed
There is a thin box of hope
Marked
Candyland.

No comments: